About Yara

2009: Qafco-6 letter signed

In October 2009, Qatar Fertiliser Company (Qafco) and a consortium of the Italian company Saipem and the Korean company Hyundai signed a letter of intent for the EPC (Engineering, Procurement and Construction) of the Qafco-6 expansion project.

Yara International ASA owns 25 percent of Qafco. The remaining 75 percent is owned by Industries Qatar.

The Qafco-6 project includes the construction of a urea plant with a total daily production capacity of 3,850 tons. The construction work is scheduled to take approximately 35 months with completion around the end of third quarter 2012. 

Upon completion of the Qafco-6 project, Qafco's total annual production capacity will increase to around 3.8 million tons of ammonia and 5.6 million tons of urea. This strengthens Qafco’s position as the world's largest single-site producer of ammonia and urea.  

According to Yara president and CEO Jørgen Ole Haslestad, "Qafco is a long standing and successful partnership, and the expansion will further strengthen Yara's production base with competitive gas sourcing.” 

The consortium of Saipem and Hyundai is also constructing the Qafco-5 project, comprising two ammonia plants with a total daily production capacity of 4,600 tons, and a urea plant with a total daily production capacity of 3,850 tons with completion expected by end of first quarter 2011.

We use cookies on this website. If you continue to use the site without changing your settings, you agree that we may store and access these cookies on your device. To understand more about our use of cookies and to change cookie settings at any time please see
Cookie Preferences
I accept cookies