About Yara

2012: Strengthening position in Asia and Oceania

Yara acquired an additional 16% of Burrup Holdings Ltd., increasing its ownership to 51% equity interest, in February. Yara also agreed with Orica and Apache to form a joint venture to build a TAN plant with an annual capacity of 330,000 tons, adjacent to the existing Yara Pilbara ammonia plant.

As part of its strategy to strengthen its position in Asia and Oceania, in February 2012, Yara acquired 16% of Burrup Holdings Limited (BHL), increasing its ownership share in the company to 51%, and renamed it Yara Pilbara. Apache Energy, holding the remaining 49%, signed a new shareholders’ agreement with Yara. Following the deal, a JV with Orica and Apache was agreed, commencing the construction of a technical ammonium nitrate (TAN) plant with an annual capacity of 330,000 tons, adjacent to the existing Yara Pilbara ammonia plant.

The close proximity to the Pilbara mining industry, plus the direct ammonia supply, gives it a distinct advantage over other TAN suppliers. The plant will meet demand from iron ore, copper and diamond mines, mostly in the Pilbara region.

The joint venture is owned 45% by Yara, 45% by Orica and 10% by Apache. Construction of the TAN plant is expected to have a capital cost of approximately USD 800 million excluding capital interest, and be completed by the end of 2015.

We use cookies on this website. If you continue to use the site without changing your settings, you agree that we may store and access these cookies on your device. To understand more about our use of cookies and to change cookie settings at any time please see
Cookie Preferences
I accept cookies