In order to increase transparency we specify which points were answered and where you can find the information underlying each point. We continue to strive for further improvements for our 2014 reporting.
Our Impact Reporting for 2013 is organized in accordance with the Global Reporting Initiative (GRI) G3.1 Standard. The information below answers Section 3, Report Parameters from the GRI.
To see on overview of our reporting, please see the GRI Index.
3.1 - Reporting Period
Calendar year 2013
3.2 - Date of most recent previous report
3.3 - Reporting cycle
3.4 - Contact point for questions regarding the report or its contents
Ethics and Compliance Department – Send email
3.5 - Process of defining report content
Report contents have been defined and compiled by Yara's Ethics and Compliance Department, with support and input from the company's Communications, Human Resources and HESQ departments. All data has been checked internally.
3.6/3.7/3.8 - Boundary of the report (Countries, divisions, subsidiaries, leased facilities, joint ventures, suppliers)
Consolidated data within this report covers the reporting year 2013, unless otherwise noted. Readers should take note of the following changes and limitations to the scope and boundaries of the reporting:
• Environmental performance data covers Yara's 20 major chemical production sites. Yara's plant in Marsa El Brega is not included due to challenges due to civil unrest and consequent plant shutdown. Reference years' data is adjusted equally. The plants acquired from Bunge in Brazil in late 2013 are not included.
• Environmental impacts from transportation and distribution have not been included, as is also the case with staff functions, wholesalers, agents and associated companies.
• Safety performance data covers all Yara employees and contractors' employees working for Yara.
• Sick leave covers employees at Yara's production sites.
• Joint ventures are included where Yara has operational responsibility. For the 2013 report this includes Yara's joint venture in Trinidad. The ammonia plant operated by BP in Hull, UK, is not included.
• HR and LA Indicator points were not answered for sites with less than five employees, therefore the data only includes 44 countries in which we operate.
• Employee data has been taken from Yara’s HR Information System (HRIS).
3.9 - Data measurement techniques and the bases of calculation, including assumptions and techniques underlying estimations applied to the compilations of the indicators and other information in the report. Explain any decision not to apply or substantially diverge from the GRI indicator protocols.
For the 2013 reporting Yara has used a web-based data management tool to help gather, organize and report the company's sustainability data. All calculations were made by using the GRI Sustainability Reporting Guidelines and Indicator Protocol Sets for each Indicator Section. The Environmental Performance Indicators have been calculated based on local legislative reporting requirements for each site.
3.10 - Explanations of the effect of any re-statements of information provided in earlier reports, and the reason for such re-statements (mergers/acquisitions, change of base years/periods, nature of business, measurement methods)
There have not been any re-statements of information provided in earlier reports.
3.11 - Significant changes from previous reporting periods in the scope, boundary or measurement methods applied in the report.
For the 2013 reporting, Yara has adhered closely to the GRI Sustainability Reporting Guidelines compilation, definitions, relevance and compilation technique to ensure accurate and transparent reporting. Some calculations and definitions that the company reported in the past may have changed to better match the GRI requirements. Yara has also improved the accuracy of reported data and calculations to the recommendations in the GRI guidelines.
3.12 - Table identifying the location of the standard disclosures in the report.
See GRI index
3.13 - Policy and current practice with regard to seeking external assurance for the report.
Our external auditor, Deloitte, has performed an independent assurance (PDF) on the Yara GRI Reporting 2013.